Sunday, March 8, 2009

Chapter 1 Citizen Marketers - My favorite firecracker

The summer before last, my roomate and I became obsessed with a video on Youtube known as "Drama Chipmunk".  This video is the definition of a firecracker.  The video depicted a prairie dog (not a chipmunk) giving a weird look to the camera, set to some very dramatic music.  I'm not really sure why the video was so funny, but believe me, it was.  Almost overnight, the video was everywhere.  I saw it posted on my friend's facebook walls, all over video sharing sites like youtube, it was even played on television a few times.  In addition to all of this, dozens of remakes and parodies of the drama chipmunk started popping up all over the place.  It was strange how popular the drama chipmunk became.  Why did this particular video succeed where so many others failed to become viral?  What makes a firecracker a firecracker?




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the different variations of this video? I particularly enjoy the one with the mustache and monocle.

Video trends such as this are random. You almost have no way of knowing whether or not your video will become YouTube's next biggest thing. Their popularity is almost as random as the movies are themselves.

The sources are also just as random. Did you know that dramatic prairie dog came from a show called "Hello! Morning" in Japan?