Monday, March 16, 2009

Twitter: I still don't get it... :(

Not too long ago I gave in and joined Twitter.  If you are unfamiliar with what Twitter, think of blogging, only a lot smaller (micro-blogging) and only answering the question "What are you doing?".  I didn't join because I have saw a use out of it, but did so simply because everyone else was doing it  - I just wanted to be popular :( -.  Anyway, I still haven't found any truly good use for it in my day-to-day life.  Believe me I tried.  First I looked for anyone i knew with a Twitter account.  This was a lot harder than I expected.  There isn't really a good searching ability on Twitter.  You can't look by E-mail or school/employer like on Facebook, for example.  And even when I did find an account with a name I recognized, they often didn't have a picture up or listed their city, so I couldn't tell which of them were people I knew (if any of them were) and which just happened to have the same name.  I did finally manage to track down my friend Wayo.  Ironically, I did this, not by looking up his name, but instead by typing in my own.  Evidently, my friend had run into the same problem as me because he was following the Tweets of someone who shared my name, but was NOT me.  I called Wayo up and we straightened everything out.  Well I decided to give up on friends and look for celebreties that I might want to follow.  This however, was also a bit disappointing.  I found that all of the celebrities I would care to follow, they all fall into one of two groups.  Those who Tweet way too much and constantly fill up your page, such as Jim Gaffigan and The Onion, or those who don't use Twitter at all, like Kristen Bell. (* The third group would be fake Twitter accounts like Tina Fey's).  I would really like to be into Twitter, seriously!  In fact, not liking it makes me feel kind of old.  But I guess its just doesn't have a useful purpose in my day to day activities.  Still, if Twitter does something about the problems I mentioned, who knows!


LOL, this sums it up really well:

1 comment:

Joe said...

I agree with you, I still don't know what the overall perspective of Twitter should do. Although I did a podcast over this site I still don't understand its full capacities. I'm sure if I start to use this site with more frequency I will be able to fully understand the site's capabilities.